5.05.2008

Ghau na fada ne Dudhi na Muthia






















Muthias are a much blogged about Gujarati snack / light meal. I am a gujju @ heart so I love Muthias- they are steamed , they have a good proportion of veggies to carbs, they are tasty!In this version, my mom uses Ghau na fada or cracked wheat, which is different from other recipes in the blogosphere. Cracked wheat is less processed than flour and provides some bite,texture and fibre to this recipe.

The only thing you have to be careful in this recipe is the proportion of Cracked wheat to veggies. Too much and your muthias will be very very hard.

Ingredients:
2 cups grated dudhi or bottlegourd
1 cups cracked wheat or ghau na fada
1/2 cup Besan or Kadala maavu
3 cloves of garlic(large)
1 green chilli

For the seasoning:
1 tsp mustard
pinch asofoetida
1 Tbsp sesame seeds
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
1/2 tsp Turmeric
lemon juice
1 tsp sugar
salt to taste
Coriander Leaves
Method:
Grate the Bottlegourd. Add a tsp of salt and leave it alone for ten to fifteen minutes. Water will leech out of the Dudhi. Now add the Besan, Ghau na fada or cracked wheat, Garlic, Green chilli and salt if needed. Now shape into a log and steam for fifteen minutes as shown in the picture.

Open the steamer vessel and let the Muthias cool down for another fifteen minutes. If you try to cut them while hot ,they will break.

Add oil to a wide and shallow vessel. When hot, add the mustard. After the mustard pops, add the sesame seeds, muthia, red chilli powder and turmeric in that order. Saute for two to three minutes or until the turmeric does not smell raw.

Turn off the heat and add the salt, sugar, lemon juice and coriander leaves.

You could also try a Muthia Recipe from other Blogs:
1. Jugalbandis Mystery Veggie Muthia
2. Kajals Dudhi na Muthia
3. Mansi's Palak and Dudhi Muthia
4. Meeras Microwave Muthia
5. Coffee Mixed Vegetable Muthias

8 comments:

FH said...

Got to make it one day, never tried it. Looks yummy, all in one meal!:))

Mansi said...

Oooh!! that looks lovely girl..muthiyas are my favorite thing, and my mom makes them the best!! thanks for mentioning my muthiya recipe:)

Aspiring Annapoorna said...

This is very interesting - Gujju recipe with 'Kadale Maavu' in the ingredient list :)
Ethnically southie raised in Gujjuland? If yes, that would make two of us... :D
The recipe is bookmarked, will try it soon. I love cooking with cracked wheat.

Meera said...

That looks delicious. I loved both the pictures.
Also, thanks for the link.

Medhaa said...

Love this recipe, always had them at my friends place but never cooked them Thanks for teh recipe.

I have tagged you for Top 10 Pictures meme since I really like your recipes and their presentations, you could participate if you are interested.

ms said...

Asha- Thanks for pointing out the one pot part - As always your feedback is meaningful and useful!
Mansi- I think all the moms in the world make the best food! The link is because I mean to try out your recipe too some day!
Aspiring Annapoorna- Oops! You caught me out sherlock ! Do let me know how it goes.
Meera- thanks to you! Microwave muthia sounds so easy.
Medhaa - Thanks boss! Your comments always encourage me. Im not sure I will be able to do the meme, But I really appreciate your thought.

Anonymous said...

Hi - This sounds interesting. One question - does one have to squeeze the water out of the dhoodi? Thanks

Bharat said...

nice recipe.
good to eat ,easy to cook